[ale] 5.x.x.x IP range

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Fri Dec 13 21:55:03 EST 2013

Came across this from which  glean that 5.0.0.0/8 was not always publicly
allocated:

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_10-3/103_awkward.html

The literature says it was used until recently by Hamachi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi_(software). I am wondering if one of
my colleagues sneaked in a Hamachi server somewhere on the network that
is handing these IP's to the PPTP clients.

ed

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>wrote:

>  On 12/13/2013 02:31 PM, Edward Holcroft wrote:
>
> What is 5.x.x.x? I've never heard of them before and am I allowed to use
> them? More importantly, where are they coming from? I never set anything to
> offer IP's in that range, unless it's some kind of default.
>

> The whois utility can tell you a good bit:
>
>    - 5.0.0.0/8 is *allocated* for assignment by RIPE, meaning that these
>    addresses belong in Europe.
>     - Various chunks of it are assigned to ISPs and backbone links (e.g.
>    5.0.0.0/17).
>
> This means that you should absolutely not be using these IP addresses, as
> they *will* conflict with the public Internet.
>
> Verify that the configuration of the server handing out the addresses is
> correct; even Microsoft products should not intentionally be using IP
> address space that is not allocated to it, unless some administrator in the
> admin chain told it to figuring that it wouldn't hurt anything.
>
> Remember the private IPv4 networks:
>
>    1. 10.0.0.0/8 if you need something very large.
>    2. 172.16.0.0/12 if you need something moderately large and
>    nonconflicting.
>    3. 192.168.0.0/16 if you need something recognizable.  I don't use
>    this range anymore, myself.
>
> I also use the TEST-NET-1 through TEST-NET-3 allocations for LAN-only
> testing of development apps and systems, but I never deploy anything with
> those addresses.
>
> For dial-in and VPN access, you should be using either addresses assigned
> to you by your upstream (e.g., your ISP or ARIN), RFC1918 space (one of the
> three ranges listed above), or assigned, delegated or organization-local
> IPv6 addressing.
>
> Ideally, the VPN should be its own routed subnet.  This isn't always
> possible though, so many VPN servers will actually do proxy-ARP to make the
> VPN-connected peers appear to be on the local subnetwork.
>
>     — Mike
>  --
>   [image: Naunet Corporation Logo]  Michael B. Trausch
>
> President, *Naunet Corporation*
> ☎ (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
> FAX: (678) 783-7843

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.

11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not