[ale] OT: Chrome cast

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Dec 12 17:47:38 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 05:10 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> For local channels I highly recommend an Antenna.  It's cheap and will get
> you your locals for free.

I think for Amazon Prime you'll need a Roku or computer (assuming you don't have
an Amazon Tablet). General Android devices don't work anymore thanks to a policy
change at Amazon.  Roku doesn't support Hulu, only HuluPlus.  Getting local
network files streamed through it is a major hassle, which I haven't solved. I
think only Plex works for that. I'm using XBMC for that still.

I use 2 antennas for local channels. One pointed S-SE and the other pointed N-NW
towards Rome.  For local stations, an antenna can be good or impossible ...
depending on your location. tvfool.com will give you some ideas about which
channels should be easy from your location.  Hit me up at any meeting for more
info on antennas than you can stand. I've built and tested 3 different DIY
models in the last 2 yrs.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/08/03/diy-hdtv-antenna-deployment-and-results is a
little long now, but describes the results from each antenna and placement.

I have a Roku3. Not a happy-camper with the HDMI-only output. Had to "solve"
that to get video to a projector and a TV and audio to a non-HDMI receiver.
Getting 5.1 audio shouldn't be this hard. Happy to explain the solution in
person, but won't in writing anywhere. I would have returned it if life didn't
get in the way and prevent my discovering all the issues before the 30 day
return passed.  Read the list archives for more on this.