[ale] [OT] laptop parts in downtown ATL

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Aug 28 10:12:27 EDT 2013

> Not to start any brand wars, but I have had nothing but problems at work with the newer Dell
> laptops. The Sony Vaio seems like a better alternative.

My beloved 18.4" Sony Vaio, worn edges, letters worn off some keys, more
frequent flier miles than I can count, is enjoyed semi-retirement on my
desk, having only ever had a new battery added. It is jealous of my new
rMBP that also runs Bodhi and Redhat (using Parallels).

I have some minor experience with some other newer models with friends and
co-workers.

My experience with Sony's is, if you buy the higher end models with good
screens, you get better HD's, RAM, Wifi and video chips and they are
really nice Linux machines. The best thing you can do to one is upgrade
the vendor munged crapware/scrapware loaded Winders install on it with Linux.