[ale] rsync

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Aug 28 10:03:53 EDT 2013

> Given that it's primarily photographic data (jpg), is it still a good idea to use compression
> (z- option), or will I not gain any real benefit by trying to compress jpegs?
>
> Alternately, if anyone has a better way of getting 600GB of data from EBS to S3, please let me
> know.

It's how I would do it. rsync over SSH with compression is CPU intensive
on both ends, but reasonably efficient with bandwidth, recoverable if
something bad happens, and easily repeatable with minimal bandwidth
if you need to sync up changes later.

If only I could rsync my brain to a backup... that would be glorious.