[ale] May need purchase Laptop - Linux Friendly

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sun Aug 25 10:57:32 EDT 2013

On 08/24/2013 09:29 AM, Tom Freeman wrote:

> I've been running an ASUS my daughter gave me (she couldn't stand
> Windows 7 and went back to Apple) with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Unfortunately,
> there seems to be some instability developing (not sure - it isn't very
> common), and my local pusher of used laptops has closed up the nearby
> store front. Assuming that I can not get to the bottom of the ASUS's
> challenges in the next month or so, I will be looking for a laptop.
>
> My preference from the past is a 2-4 year old ThinkPad. Solid builds
> with 2-4 years of life left with fine linux compatability in my limited
> experience. Assuming I find one of those from a dealer I have some
> history with (or will have with), this question is probably
> wasted/redundant. However...
>
> Is there a line of new Laptops in this era of Windows 8 and the fancy
> security boot scheme which is 1) Linux friendly enough to trust a
> distracted individual with (me) 2) robust enought to risk loading on the
> back of scooter transportation?
>
> Thanks to all for the use of their bandwidth

I've found Thinkpads to really be the best, hands down, at supporting
Linux. Microcenter typically has used/refurbished Thinkpads in stock for
< $300. My normal recommendation for anyone looking for a good Linux
laptop is to get one of those, max out the RAM (usually only 4GB) and
grab a 60GB or 120GB SSD. All in you'll probably spend ~$450 less tax.

This endorsement brought to you by a guy using a 7 year old Thinkpad X61.

--
Ted W.