[ale] Disk performance

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Aug 24 19:48:47 EDT 2013

# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   330 MB in  2.00 seconds = 164.89 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  38 MB in  3.13 seconds =  12.16 MB/sec

But I think I found the culprit, the CD drive blew up.  I almost never
use it (last time I used it was for the installation three years ago).
I rebooted once after I sent the initial email to see what POST said and
it never announced the CD drive -- it's IDE but it was on the secondary
channel.  So I shut back down and yanked it off the bus.  Left
everything else as it was with the exception of removing the suspend
feature from the kernel (kept hanging for 20-30 seconds running
libgcrypt at boot to uncompress a non-existent suspend file).

I'm going to give it a few hours and see if it behaves or goes back to
the lagging.  I'll also be watching the free RAM very closely.  Prior to
the shutdown it was running with about 20MB free and now it's up at
390MB free (total system 512MB).