[ale] [OT] Liberties

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Aug 22 16:49:00 EDT 2013

A few points:
By the time we dropped the bomb (Aug 1945) Italy then Germany (May 1945) had already been defeated.

We actually dropped two nuclear bombs not one.    We probably didn't drop a third mainly because we didn't have a third available yet.

There are those that argue against the logic of preventing worse casualties in high numbers as a reason for dropping the bombs.   They would tell you it was dropped mainly because the Japanese being Asian were seen as less than human and we'd never have dropped it in Europe.  It is a matter of record that the US spent a lot of time studying the effects after they dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki even though they'd done test blasts ahead of time.  I personally am not in the camp that believes this but note is so you can be aware that it isn't just current political theory that has opposing views.

Wikipedia is over a great source of information but just remember:
a) Its authors are anyone and anyone will post "facts" colored by their own perceptions and opinions.
b) It can be (and has been changed) to fit misstatements and outright lies easily.  (Usually it gets changed back but you always have to be aware what you're reading at this moment could have been posted just before you read it.)

I remind you of the Sarah Palin misstatements that caused someone to change Wikipedia to show she was correct:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fsarah-palin-fans-try-to-rewrite-wikipedia-history-of-paul-reveres-ride-2011-6&ei=bngWUqv1HOf62gXcnIC4Cw&usg=AFQjCNG_lcuGQTcJK51j-3s7qmVtkwVWJA&bvm=bv.51156542,d.eWU