[ale] [OT] Liberties

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:21:42 EDT 2013

It's not giving up privacy, it's the erosion of rights being sold off for a
false sense of security.

There is NOTHING any group or official can ever do to make us SAFE from all
harm. But fear mongering garners votes so that is the played card.

Some crazy loons drive airplanes into a building and kill 4500 people. So
we go kill 400000 in retaliation and do more in an unrelated country. We
use those as the excuse to ramp up the surveillance state apparatus and
sell it as a way to make us feel safer.

Safe from what? Another dozen crazies trying to pick a fight? Or people
with the claimed authority and certain firepower to put anyone in a deep
hole forever? Or a drone flying around with bombs and no declaration of war
or court warrant? Or every cop car dash camera recording tags and GPS and
time stamping all of it?

Pretty soon, there will be no defense in court possible as only one side
controls the data stream and citizenry are imprisoned for faulty memory of
every minute detail of their life's communications and travel.

Orwell was an optomist.