[ale] [OT] Liberties

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Aug 21 14:08:40 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I agree that the rule of law should be upheld, if you send an
> unencrypted e-mail or post on Facebook you have given every agency in the
> world permission to delve into your every affair. If you think "the
> internet" is the issue, you know little about your insurance company or
> those rewards programs. Or Amazon. Or Google. PJ's feeling of violation is
> either misleading or very naive.

I feel extremely violated.  When I use Amazon, or Google, I agree to a
terms of service that gives them explicit permission to do certain
things.  I have the *choice* not to share with them.  I have never
agreed to have the US government read any of my private
communications.

> How do you expect terrorists or criminals to be brought to justice absent
> evidence? It's easy to assume the stupid criminals will be caught on
> videocam but the dangerous ones also need to be tracked. How do you propose
> doing that? How do you get evidence on them?

Criminals have rights too, and their rights are being violated as well as yours.
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."
--Dostoyevsky

I propose getting evidence on them by, say, I don't know, following the law?