[ale] [OT] Groklaw shuts down due to potential "forced exposure" issues

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Aug 21 10:45:34 EDT 2013

Until we cut off the money from non-human, non-voting entities, we are doomed.
The politicians will always follow what the money tells them to do after they've
been in office 6 months. Staying in office appears to be their primary goal, not
representing the voters best interests.

I'd run for office, but I am unelectable for a number of reasons, fewer now that
President Obama is in office. ;)

Campaign finance should only be provided by individuals legally able to vote in
a specific election. There needs to be a limit on allowed donations ($50K?/yr)
and public tracking of all donations is needed.  I hate the last part, but if
individuals cannot be pinned to each contribution, traceability cannot occur.

End all "soft contributions" and non-trivial gifts too. This will make the
elected people actually pay attention to the voters. I can't think of any other
way to bring their attention back to the voters.

Tricking the current representatives into changing the laws will be difficult -
probably impossible. Harder than term limits, I fear.

As I travel around the world, I see many things that are better and many things
that are worse than the USA. We most definitely DO NOT have the greatest country
on Earth for everyone. I like to think we are in the upper 10%, but that is
completely subjective.  I still get a chill whenever the immigration guy says
"welcome home" at the airport. They don't always say that, but when they do, I
appreciate it.

There are things to love about almost every country, but every country is not
ideal for every individual.  As the USA drops more and more into a police state,
it is clear we need to take political action. Some sort of migration from the
current finance methods to another is needed. A constitutional amendment will
definitely be needed.

I'm certain there are flaws with this plan and I don't know how to make it happen.