[ale] [OT] bought a pair of Philips Par 20 flood led bulbs

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Aug 20 16:34:32 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pass along some more led info.

I just bought a pair of Philips Par 20 flood led bulbs for my wife's curio cabinet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-8-Watt-50-Watt-PAR20-Bright-White-3000K-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-426114/203553312

They're a bit pricy at about $ 30 each.  It's designed to replace a reflector / flood bulb.  They say it's equivalent to 50 W but I think it's more like 40 w.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_aluminized_reflector_light

The 20 in par 20 means the diameter is 20 / 8 ", or 2.5 ".  So, these bulbs are pretty small.  The wikipedia article has a nice chart.

I would have rather had 2700 K bulbs, but they either don't make them or don't stock them or were out of stock.

Initial impressions are very good.  These light up the cabinet nicely, and generate much less heat than the pair of 45 W bulbs they replace.  Actual power consumption is 8 W.  Light output is 470 lumens and is directed downward rather than being omnidirectional.

One thing I don't like is the lack of long warranty.  Projected lifetime is 22.8 years at 3 hr / day which is ~ 25,000 hours.  However, the warranty is 6 years at 3 hr / day which is 6570 hours.  Oh well, I hope the projection is more accurate than the warranty.  We don't use these too much anyway.

Overall, I like them except for the price and warranty.

Sincerely,

Ron