[ale] Local/Cloud File Encryption

Ted Wood ted-lists at xy0.org
Mon Aug 19 13:25:09 EDT 2013

On 17 Aug 2013, 15:54:50 -0400, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> I've been toying with the idea of storing files in the cloud, but for
> the life of me I can't bring myself to trust most of the companies
> out there, especially the bigger ones.  What I'm looking for a is a
> cross platform (linux/windows) encryption methodology that I can use
> to encrypt files locally and THEN store them in the cloud.  I'm sure
> many are doing something similar, just looking for some pointers.
> I've googled about it, while there are many options, I'm looking for
> some local feedback.  Thanks

I have used duplicati in the past and found that it worked well on all
platforms but Mac OSX. Even that, however, was likely a result of the
filesystem structure more than it's ability to function on the OS. It would
hang and require a force quit. If you need to use it on Linux and Windows only,
however, it should work well and even then, it should work on Mac as long as
you don't try to backup symlinks (I think that was my issue).

If your systems each have a good bit of extras space available, you could try
Torrent Sync. Then you would have a copy of each machine on every other machine
and you would own the data. This may not be practical for some but my thinking
is that most people with 1TB disks don't use the full amount, maybe 100-200GB.
So if you have two or three machines, you could easily utilize that extra space
with the backups of the others. While not encrypted at rest, the transmission
is encrypted over ssl and since you own the storage end points, encrypt those
disks and you'll have the same protection.

There was another product I looked at recently which did file level encryption
and was capable of spreading your data across the major free storage providers
(dropbox, google, etc) but the name escapes me at the moment. If I remember it
I'll reply again.

--
Ted Wood <ted-lists at xy0.org>
Registered GNU/Linux user #413569