[ale] Local/Cloud File Encryption

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Aug 18 12:30:20 EDT 2013

On 08/17/2013 03:54 PM, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> I've been toying with the idea of storing files in the cloud, but for the life
> of me I can't bring myself to trust most of the companies out there, especially
> the bigger ones.  What I'm looking for a is a cross platform (linux/windows)
> encryption methodology that I can use to encrypt files locally and THEN store
> them in the cloud.  I'm sure many are doing something similar, just looking for
> some pointers.  I've googled about it, while there are many options, I'm looking
> for some local feedback.  Thanks

I've read that duplicity, dejadup and duplicati support encrypted backups pushed
to different remote locations. That might be the easiest solution if you don't
want to roll your own.

Have you considered the time it will take to get the files back from where ever
you store them? Many services will limit recovery speeds, so take that into
account - you are unlikely to get the full speed your connection supports.

Hummm.  Thinking about this a little more, a priority organized set of 4.3G or
smaller truecrypt files might be workable. I'd keep the important data in a
specific file, then less and less important data in others by the organization.
 This data probably wouldn't change too often - quarterly for some, but others
would hardly ever change at all.

Why 4.3G?  DVD backups. This is about the wedding photos, password manager data,
financial docs and tax statements.  This is not about TB of media. I'd be
surprised if all my once-in-a-lifetime vacation photos were over 50G total.

I'm probably over thinking the solution.