[ale] More on LEDs...

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Aug 16 22:41:32 EDT 2013

William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:

>On Friday 16 August 2013, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> It has a combined brake light and tail light which uses a dual
>filament
>> bulb, an 1157.  I found the 1157R led bulb at autozone and put it in
>the
>> car.
>
>Ah, was not aware they were making retrofit LEDs! Will look next time
>I'm in
>a parts store for LED tag lights. Unlikely to have the lensing problem
>you
>noted with tail lights so the longer life (and gradual failure if the
>individual LEDs do not fail at the same time) would make this an ideal
>application.
>
>Anyone who drives an older car at night will know why this is
>important:)
>--
>William

Hi William,

The auto parts stores have a pitiful selection.  See my reply to Adrya for a number of other sources.

Many times, a tag light uses light coming out of the side of the light, so you definitely want to make sure the light is going in the right direction versus where the socket is.

Sincerely,

Ron