[ale] Remote access

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Aug 16 19:14:34 EDT 2013

Chuck:

(Pardon me if someone else has already suggested this in advance.  The disadvantage of getting a list in Digest format over the day, then playing "catch up" later. ;-) ).

IPMI can do such on a network connection.  Supermicro systems have these onboard as an example.  The idea would be to set up a VLAN for just the IPMI cards, remote into the office, then go from there into the VLAN to do whatever needs to be done.  You do want the IPMI's on their own network for security reasons as well as isolating such from "the masses" within the office.

Supermicro's IPMI takes web UI and I believe some CLI shell (via telnet perhaps?), however both are non-secure ports (hence the earlier note).

HTH.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.