[ale] Remote access

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:01:19 EDT 2013

On 8/16/13 3:47 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Ron,
>
> I am looking for something to act as KVM ( Keyboard Video and Mouse,
> not the Kervel Virtual Machine), see the person they hire to do linux
> dev, doesn't know linux. Keeps killing the box, so if I had Drac on
> these I would be happy, I have BMC, I really should look to see they
> can do remote access like the Drac. All the stuff would be great while
> the box is running. If I had remove access like KVM  I could kick
> start the boxes, which is happen from my office. Instead driving an
> hour to Roswell.
>
> Ed, these are old 2950, still go for dev boxes.

I thought 2950s had DRAC?

At any rate, Lantronix Spiders are kinda pricey but generally work well
for one-off boxes that need a KVM

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/spider.html

Doesn't give you power control but as long as you have managed PDUs,
between the two you can get about the same as an integrated DRAC / iLO /
etc type management