[ale] Streaming video via MediaTomb

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Wed Aug 14 20:57:30 EDT 2013

You want to stream *from* the RPi running XBMC?  That doesn't make sense to
me.  The RPi is the perfect device to be connected to your TV.  You can
share media over the network using SMB or other file sharing protocols.
The only sticking point might be that the RPi supports h264 encoded video
in hardware (so that will decode just fine), but other formats might not.
Maybe it can stream from MediaTomb using a plugin.

As far as a remote control, the RPi is actually amazingly awesome in this
regard.  It has built-in HDMI-CEC, which, if your TV supports it, allows
you to control the RPi using your TV remote.  This only works on relatively
new TVs that also have HDMI-CEC support though.  I have not seen another
device that supports CEC, and I think it's a killer app for RPi.

❧ Brian Mathis