[ale] OT: Animated GIF's are back/rant

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 18:26:29 EDT 2013

I call bullshit on that. The fact is that no modern browser supports
disabling animated GIFs. Therefore, it is easy to "force" someone to watch
the "video" you think everyone should be watching; even if the viewer just
happens to scroll by and see a few frames before he keeps scrolling. No one
creating and posting these thing could give less of a damn about what
codecs and patents are in play. If the actual videos would always,
guaranteed, play immediately upon load, then they would post the video.

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013, Rev. Johnny Healey wrote:

> It's because video codec patents, drm issues, and flash have produced an
> ecosystem where it is easier to upload an animated gif that will display in
> most browsers than to upload a video file that will display in at least
> half of the browsers.
>
> -Johnny
>

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'bugyatl at gmail.com');>
> > wrote:
>
>> That many years of progressive development of video compressing
>> techniques and people continue to post animated GIF's in size 2-6 MB, video
>> that normally would take about 100-200 KB. What a waste! And what with the
>> whole trend ?

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59