[ale] windows to Linux user conversion training guide

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 11:58:46 EDT 2013

nope. No pico, nano, or other tool that provides visual prompting.

The idea is to force a paradigm shift the same way as learning a language -
total immersion.

The general expectation is people can learn. Computers are currently used
to take over the thinking process instead of supplement it. There are many
areas where computer use is great, web browser being one - it enhances and
make possible things that were not possible before. But many places,
computer use makes people dumber and lazy. Just people _can_ learn arcane
crap like sports stats and movie trivia and such, they _can_ learn some
basic commands at a prompt so they are not totally at the mercy of a gui. I
reserve that judgment as not valid for Mac fanatics :-)

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would for Windows users, pico or nano be a good one to start with?
>
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Scott Plante <splante at insightsys.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > http://jimkinney.us/2.%2Bbasic%2Beveryday%2Bcommands.html
> >
> > Type the command cat /etc/filesystems - >> /tmp/foo. When you get the
> blank
> > line, start entering text. A new line is given when you press "Enter". To
> > stop entering text press "Ctrl-C".
> >

> > While a Ctrl-C (interrupt) seems to work, wouldn't Ctrl-D (eof) be more
> > appropriate? Interrupt seems like it'd be dependent on implementation
> > details of what caching happens or something like that. Say, if you were
> > piping to some other command rather than redirecting to foo. I was
> actually
> > a bit surprised to see it work.
> >
> > You said feedback is welcome--hope this isn't too nit-picky.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain