[ale] OT: What the hell is XSS in Comcast land?

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:46:44 EDT 2013

when I got an email from Comcast cause they autodetected I lacked a battery
I got one regardless, cause I figured if it was engineered to have a
battery it was going to have one. Ironically it's on my UPS too.  This
might be a separate thread in the future cause I don't want to hijack this
one, my condo dropped a cable and LAN port in every unit of my building.
And it's powered by business class, 35 down/12 up. A lot of older residents
who aren't even using much bandwidth.  It's free (well within the HOA). But
I have a need where it's easier for me to VPN into my network sometimes to
remote desktop to a specific device ... for OpenVPN it didn't work on
theres. On my personal Xfinity account when on the modem I ported forwarded
port 443, and my dynamic IP address I'm using FreeDNS to associate that, it
works. afik the condo internet has the same IP public address for the
entire building (same NAT block?) ... so I don't fully understand the
network topography for it. I just don't see how I can run OpenVPN from the
Tomato firmware off the condo connection cause afik I can't forward the
ports, and I don't have a unique (even if it's dynamic) IP address to
associate with FreeDNS.  My personal xfinity connection no problem.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Chris Ricker <chris.ricker at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Think of your EMTA as having two devices inside it, a cable modem and
> > an MTA glued together. They operate independently and exist in
> > separate network spaces. The cable modem "side" functions as the
> > gateway for your wireless / wired home IP network (or serves as the
> > bridging layer, if you're operating in bridged mode) attached to the
> > cable modem "side". The MTA handles only the VOIP traffic from the
> > phones attached to the MTA "side" and operates over a separate network
> > riding on top of the same physical layer out of your house and back to
> > the provider
>
> I think a more correct simplification would be that the box has TWO
> cablemodems in it; one is connected to your network, the second is
> connected to the MTA.
>
> > (partially inaccurate oversimplification but it gives you the idea)
>
> -derek

Don Kramer
donkramer at gmail.com - email / 404-213-7738 - cell