[ale] Calculating latency

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:25:22 EDT 2013

Depends on the TCP Window size, latency, and available bandwidth for
theoretical minimum time.  Have a read through this:
http://bradhedlund.com/2008/12/19/how-to-calculate-tcp-throughput-for-long-distance-links/
.   If there's congestion or packet loss on the links then things get
bit more complicated.  But this should get you an idea of where to start.

--chip

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Mike Barnes <mdb3624 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am actually trying to determine how long a java application server
> request that is sending 1.3MB will take to be received by the client
> browser. We are getting a time of 30 seconds and the client is not happy
> with that. So, now I am looking at other areas besides the code to help
> account for the time.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Why not transfer the file and look at the time?
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>> On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Mike Barnes <mdb3624 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I need to know how to calculate the amount of time it will take to
>> transfer a 1MB file from one server to another.
>> >
>> > When I run tracert I get a total latency of 250ms
>> >
>> > How do I use that to calculate time for transfer.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Mike

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....