[ale] OT: What the hell is XSS in Comcast land?

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 11:58:54 EDT 2013

On 8/12/13 9:49 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> OOPS.  I guess I was mistaken about my comcast modem.  I checked and the wan ip reported by my last router is the same as my public ip reported by external websites.  I guess my comcast device is working in bridge mode and I didn't know it.  I do have comcast phone service though.  I wouldn't want to turn that off.  I think I'll just stick with my current modem for now.  It sounds like I might have problems with the "upgrade".
>
> That leads to an interesting question.  I wonder how the telephony traffic gets mixed in and what ip it has when it exits.  I wonder if it even uses ip to get to the comcast data center.
Think of your EMTA as having two devices inside it, a cable modem and an
MTA glued together. They operate independently and exist in separate
network spaces. The cable modem "side" functions as the gateway for your
wireless / wired home IP network (or serves as the bridging layer, if
you're operating in bridged mode) attached to the cable modem "side".
The MTA handles only the VOIP traffic from the phones attached to the
MTA "side" and operates over a separate network riding on top of the
same physical layer out of your house and back to the provider

(partially inaccurate oversimplification but it gives you the idea)