[ale] OT: What the hell is XSS in Comcast land?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Aug 12 09:49:11 EDT 2013

below

Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
>atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
>
>> I really don't think you have to be in bridge mode.  I have 3 routers
>> between my pc and the internet counting the comcast device.  They're
>all in
>> router mode, I think.  I know mine are.  At least I've never changed
>the
>> comcast device.  I suppose it could be in bridge mode.  Each device
>uses
>> dhcp to get configuration from the next.  The only gotcha would be if
>you
>> need to do port forwarding into the network.  The other slight
>disadvantage
>> if ganging routers is that there is a slight increase of latency of
>about
>> 10 - 20 mS per router.  If you're trying to do ultra precise time
>setting
>> from ntp or something, that could create additional problems.  I
>don't do
>> any port forwarding and I've given up worrying if my pc clock is less
>than
>> 500 mS off.
>>

>For the newer devices that have the wifi+phone, bridge mode will shut
>off
>those "features".  I have that now b/c I have my own wifi setup and did
>not
>want the generic DHCP the Comcast device provided
>

>--
>Pete Hardie
>--------
>Better Living Through Bitmaps

OOPS.  I guess I was mistaken about my comcast modem.  I checked and the wan ip reported by my last router is the same as my public ip reported by external websites.  I guess my comcast device is working in bridge mode and I didn't know it.  I do have comcast phone service though.  I wouldn't want to turn that off.  I think I'll just stick with my current modem for now.  It sounds like I might have problems with the "upgrade".

That leads to an interesting question.  I wonder how the telephony traffic gets mixed in and what ip it has when it exits.  I wonder if it even uses ip to get to the comcast data center.

Sincerely,

Ron