[ale] Thunderbird Slowness (more info)

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Sun Aug 11 02:03:09 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> On 08/09/2013 10:14 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> In your previous thread you mentioned that the size of your mailbox was a
>> few GB, and others responded that theirs was similar.
>>
>> Do you have all of your messages in the same folder?  Some people seem to
>> use their inbox count as some kind of badge of honor, and I think the
>> number of messages in a folder would have much more to do with slowness
>> than the pure size of the entire mail directory -- kind of like how people
>> complain a web browser is slow, even though they have 75 tabs open.
>>

> I do have sub folders, but some are still big.  One of my inboxes has
> 37,000 unread!

OK then.  I would expect that any folders with that many messages would be
slow when accessing it.  Since this is on one of your inboxes, it's
probably accessed right when you start Thunderbird, or at least whenever it
checks for mail, so you're going to notice that all the time.

I'd move everything into another folder, like "_Inbox" or something, then
see if the performance improves.  You'll still see issues when you have
that folder selected, but at least it won't be every time it checks for
mail.

❧ Brian Mathis