[ale] fried innards -- final report

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 18:23:40 EDT 2013

AH! You need to rethink the "fan as case" model and go straight to the "AC
duct as case" model.

Take a 15k BTU window unit. Add some sheet metal to the cold air output to
run it right over all the cpus you have. Add a second bit of sheet metal to
join the big front AC return to the hot side of the PC/ductwork monolith.

With some decent measuring and placement of ribs, you can mount 8-12
motherboards in a decent size chunk of rigid duct. Add some cutout to place
the back panel shield and some fancy power supply work and you've got your
own cluster!

Then the spouse finds out what's making all the noise...

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:

> On 8/8/2013 13:37, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> computer cases are made of fans and cable ties :-)
>>

> Ohhhhh!  Then I have tons of those. :)
>
> I gave up on cases once I decided I'd be using 100-200mm fans for cooling
> to keep noise under control.  :)  Next step is a central exhaust system for
> the heat.  I'm close, already have all the fans and ductwork, just need to
> piece it together.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.