[ale] Locating the name of public facing machines within a domain

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Thu Aug 8 14:08:52 EDT 2013

You can try to perform a zone transfer, which would retrieve the full DNS
database, but it's unlikely to work since a correctly-configured DNS setup
should only allow transfers to authorized hosts.  Not all DNS servers are
setup correctly though, so you can try it:
    dig axfr myschool.edu

You could try to query each DNS server, by doing something like this:
    dig myschool.edu
then, for each name server (as indicated by the NS in the result), do
    dig axfr @ns1.myschool.edu myschool.edu

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any other way to find out every hostname name
in a domain.

❧ Brian Mathis