[ale] Locating the name of public facing machines within a domain

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Aug 8 11:17:14 EDT 2013

I almost guarentee that the Subject line should be better phrased...

In any event... I has been long enought since I needed to much with DNS
type stuff that if I ever knew the answer, I have forgotten that I knew. I
need/want to locate _all_ of the public internet facing machine names of
my employer in order to locate the correct URL address for what I need to
do. (Yes - asking support is feasable, but they are over loaded and I know
that the machine name is related to the service I want)

An example might help (I hope so at least). Say I want to get into the old
Moodle system (which is being retired, but isn't shut down quite yet). Is
it moo1.myschool.edu, moodle1.myschool.edu, oldmoo.myschool.edu or some
other variant? I don't need/want the IP addresses, but the machine names.

Support people at work are sadly overloaded, so response times are rising
at the moment. I'd like to be able to dig my way out of this challenge.

So far - I haven't asked the Google a correctly formed question to return
anything semi-useful in the first 100 + responses. I have looked at the
dig man page, and that seems like it should work, but haven't managed to
wrap my head around things yet.

Thankyou one and all for the use of your bandwidth!