[ale] fried innards

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 16:31:23 EDT 2013

I have seen once, but like Jim said, my plug had got damage, one of
the pins was not connecting, this was before sata. It wasn't a CDRom,
but the motherboard north connector that burn up. So if it not
grounded correctly it can happen.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is feasible that a crimp in the plug itself was poor and it finally hit
> the inflection point in the failure curve where it escalated rapidly. It's
> easy to pull 10-12A on the 12V rail and not trip the fuse as it's still
> below the fuse point but above the "turn the wire into a resistor" point.
>

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I no longer remember the brand of power supply, but I do find it
>> interesting that no brand name or electrical details are visible on the
>> surfaces of the PSU that I can see.
>>
>> Looking at the charred remains of the fried plug, I can see that both
>> ground wires popped out of the plug and the 12 volt yellow wire has its
>> insulation burned off for nearly 2 inches. Yet the PSU fuse did not trip.
>>
>> Sean

>> > <snip>
>>
>> > Like someone mentioned above, it was probably a loose/bad connection,
>>
>> > but still it's very odd. Trying to imagine what could go short in A
>>
>> > DVD-ROM to allow that kind of current draw. Filter Caps? reverse
>>
>> > voltage protection Diode? If all is working as it was sans the DVD,
>>
>> > you're probably OK. But for my information, what brand is the power
>>
>> > supply?

>> > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at

> James P. Kinney III
>
> Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
> at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail.
> It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org