[ale] fried innards

Calvin Harrigan calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:11:21 EDT 2013

On 8/6/2013 2:54 PM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Power supply is a replacement. Got burned years ago buy a cheap power
> supply. I no longer remember the specs on this one, but it is AT LEAST
> 30% larger than necessary.
>
> BUT, the box itself is more than 7 years old, and the mobo/cpu and power
> supply are five years old, as are the RAID-1 drives.
>
> Everything else seems to be working as it should. I'm thinking this may
> be the "handwriting on the wall." If that's the case, I'd better go get
> a lottery ticket! :)
>
> Sean

<snip>
Like someone mentioned above, it was probably a loose/bad connection,
but still it's very odd.  Trying to imagine what could go short in A
DVD-ROM to allow that kind of current draw.  Filter Caps? reverse
voltage protection Diode?  If all is working as it was sans the DVD,
you're probably OK.  But for my information, what brand is the power supply?