[ale] fried innards

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 14:26:25 EDT 2013

I'm working away at the keyboard, minding my own business, when I smell
the unmistakeable odor of burning electrics and realize that the room is
suddenly hazy -- as in filling up with smoke.

WTF

No flames in sight and the only thing that seems overly warm to the touch
is the top of the computer case.  So I - - -

Pull the plug
Open the windows
Open up the box

The problem is easy to see:  the power plug to the CD/DVD burner has
failed, causing a short that has melted the plug.

Questions:  Does this kind of thing happen often?  Is it a symptom of a
deeper problem, such as a flaky power supply?

Sean