[ale] Service account allows sudo but no login

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 12:06:46 EDT 2013

also note that bin user is not blocked from having a login as per setup in
/etc/shadow:

# grep "^bin" /etc/shadow
bin:*:15628:0:99999:7:::
# grep "^bin" /etc/passwd
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin

So root or root-like _can_ create a shell for bin and su to bin.

however:

# grep "^postfix" /etc/shadow
postfix:!!:15824::::::
# grep "^postfix" /etc/passwd
postfix:x:89:89::/var/spool/postfix:/sbin/nologin

This will block su but again will not block su -s <valid shell> from
root-like accounts.

So, yeah, now I'm really interested in beating up some pam rules that will
totally block all su access if both no shell AND login with password is
blocked in shadow. Not that it will make much difference as it will require
root to access through this process anyway and root can modify the shadow
file (unless locked by selinux).

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> As root, su -s will provide a shell. As wheel group member with sudo, same
> results. As non-root user, no.
>
> Seems like there should be a way to close off those with Pam but I've not
> thought about it before now. SeLinux will block su transitions easily.
> On Aug 5, 2013 11:15 AM, "Derek Atkins" <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > These accounts can't be su'ed to :
>> > # grep nologin /etc/passwd
>> > bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin
>> > daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin
>> > adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin
>> > lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin
>> >
>> > # su - bin
>> > This account is currently not available.
>> > # su - lp
>> > This account is currently not available.
>>
>> You could still su to these accounts by providing su a shell:
>>
>>   su -s /bin/bash - bin
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain