[ale] Fedora 19 and Java 7

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Aug 2 21:15:15 EDT 2013

Which specific JVM are you using? (OpenJDK/IcedTea vs Oracle vs IBM etc., and if Oracle, JDK 1.7.0u25 or something earlier?)

Have you tried installing Java 7 on F17 to isolate whether the problem is related to F17->F19 or Java 6 -> Java 7?

Is this software you purchased, or open source, or your company's own creation?

I'd guess it's not a 6->7 incompatibility, but I suppose it's possible. We haven't had any Java software quit working upgrading to 7, but we did have some Cisco management app that quit working after 1.3 or 1.4. It's intended to be upward compatible, but that can never be guaranteed 100%. Sometimes software *depends* on a bug to operate. Other times an added attribute or method causes a conflict I suppose (but I'd think that would be more of a compile time problem). If you have source, I think we could definitely help you sort it out.

Scott