[ale] [JOB] System Engineer II for CNN

Chris Farris chrisf at primeharbor.com
Fri Aug 2 13:30:13 EDT 2013

I can't recall if there is a specific jobs list or not, but based on
the number of prefixed [OT] in my ALE folder I'm not feeling bad about
forwarding this.... :)

For a large company Turner is a pretty awesome place to work. I'm not
in HR so I can say things like we get lots of discounts on gift-cards,
free Braves/Hawks vouchers each year, Summer fridays, extra holidays
sprinkled about, work-from-home days. Hours are pretty flexible, and I
like the hiring manager.

There is a downside though. I'm on a sister-team from this position,
so you'd have to deal with me on occasion. We're almost all
RHEL/Centos with some OSX and Windows mixed in so you need to be
OS-flexable.

Here is the formal Job description:

Qualifications: BS in Engineering or Computer Science, or related experience
2+ years of experience in systems administration
Knowledge of supporting applications in a business environment
Strong Linux background, with some Windows
Experience with lightweight web frameworks (python, ruby, etc.)
Experience with production support level applications (working with
ticketing systems, customers, change control systems, quality control,
etc.)
Familiar with risk and issue management issues, including: intrusion
detection, VPN, secure shell, networking, network infrastructure,
remedy trouble ticketing, security software, Cisco, and networking
Experience with reading and writing scripting languages, especially perl.
Experience with Telestream FlipFactory is a plus
Experience with IBM MQ is a plus
J2EE Container experience (WebSphere, GlassFish) is a plus
Must be able to communicate effectively with other systems engineers,
other engineering teams, application developers, and customers within
CNN.

Duties: The Systems Engineer II will maintain and support web services
and news production architectures with specific attention to
availability, performance, capacity planning, and implementation.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to: Daily monitoring of
the ticket queue, performing analysis of problems across multiple
systems and groups
Perform deployments and installations for systems as needed
Represent the team in small to medium projects as the technical lead,
performing architectural services and guiding other team members in
the management and execution of tasks related to this project
Represent the team in small to large projects, performing the
execution of various tasks in support of these projects
Become a Subject Matter Expert on small to medium projects support by
Media Integration Applications, providing training and documentation
for others.
Develop processes and procedures to deploy software and configurations
into production environments
Assist in enforcing the use of appropriate standards, processes,
procedures, and tools.
Multi-task and manage multiple environments
Provide 24x7 on-call support and troubleshooting as part of a rotation
Work outside regular office hours occasionally
Work from remote locations (remote offices, home) occasionally
Coordinate and communicate with team members, help desk, and others
Prepare status reports for the manager
Handle multiple projects and implementations
Troubleshoot problems quickly and effectively
Mentor and train other team members

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal
Opportunity Employers.

I will add, that someone with Chef experience would be greatly appreciated.