[ale] the beauty of PC hibernation

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 1 16:15:06 EDT 2013

Just wanted to drop this quick note.  The electrical storms have been causing me grief lately because I have to keep shutting down my pc's.  One in particular has about 20 windows in specific locations and doing specific things and about 70 browser tabs open.  To restart everything from scratch on all pc's after a storm takes about 45 minutes.

I just (re)discovered the beauty of hibernate mode.  This depends on your os, motherboard, and bios.  However, if it works, it's great.   I just select hibernate, before the storm, and the computer stops what it's doing and saves everything including ram to the hdd.  This is not the same as standby, as the computer is completely off when done.  I can shut down the ups if I want.  I start it back up, wait 2 minutes, and everything is almost as I left it, including all windows and their position and function.  I just have to reset a couple of things that don't like being interrupted, and I'm back up and running.

I expect that every 5 - 10 restarts, things will get wonky and I'll have to start from scratch.  However, this really helps.  Just thought I'd pass it along.

Sincerely,

Ron