[ale] help with java crash

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 1 13:10:24 EDT 2013

Hi all,

This thread was from a month ago when I was asking for help dealing with a Java crash.  I want to say thanks for all the suggestions.  I just got back to tackling the problem and decided to just go ahead and install Oracle Java in a Mint 13 VM.  I'm going to take steps to limit that machine's exposure to potentially malicious java apps, including running only selected websites and using noscript on other sites.  No site runs scripting unless I trust it.  That's my standard setup on all my Firefox installs.

I thought I'd post an update to show how I installed Oracle Java.

First, I used this procedure and changed file names as appropriate to install the latest Java from Oracle.

http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/2013/01/installing-oracle-java-7-on-linux-mint-13/

Second, I used this procedure just for the "install the firefox plugin" part about half way down, changing path names and file names as appropriate.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1091

Third, I had to go into synaptic package manager and uninstall completely all entries that mention iced tea.

After that, it worked, and I can now run the Oanda FXTrade currency trading web app, which requires the Java.  The "do I have java" applet on java.com also works.

Warning, if you don't want Java on the system, do NOT just keep removing whatever Java is there with synaptic.  I completely destabilized another VM that way, entered dependency hell, and never escaped.  I'm going to have to do a complete reinstall on that one.  I haven't figured out how to completely remove Java on my other Linux systems, although I'd like to.  OpenJDK 6 will still be installed after following these procedures, but will not be automatically used.  Iced Tea will be gone, however.

HTH

Sincerely,

Ron