[ale] ACLU Files Complaint With FTC Over Android Security Updates

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sun Apr 21 21:29:31 EDT 2013

I have had a half dozen android phones so far, and not a single one has run the carrier software for longer than it has taken me to root it and load a developer rom.
In my household, I currently have an HTC One S, two Galaxy Vibrants and an LG Optimus, all running the latest Jelly Bean builds for the roms they have loaded.
By the way, I've never had a problem with a warranty return. I either load the original build or send it as is if dead. Not a peep from the vendor.
I can understand most consumers not wanting to deal with this, but most consumers don't want to mess with technology in general.  They just want to use what's handed to them.
Anyone on this list should be able to root a phone and load a rom, maybe with a little help.
Why complain about your provider not updating your phone when you have access to do it yourself?
-jt

>>> Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> 4/21/2013   08:23 PM >>>
yes. the ACLU taking this up seems odd.

However, I've seen a graph somewhere showing that essentially all
iPhones ever made can be updated the current versions of IOS.

But Android phones are a totally different story.   Once the carrier
stops selling them, they get abandoned and rarely get security
upgrades.

i'm not an Apple fan, but the different was quite striking.

Neal Rhodes