[ale] tmux questions any help please

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Fri Apr 19 13:01:01 EDT 2013

On 04/19/2013 12:51 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> I use my Laptop with resolution of 1280x800. I connect to the VM with
> putty and connect with TMUX. I work on and then and disconnect.
>
> Putty connects to VM from office box, resolution at which putty runs
> on resolution of 1280x1024. I connect with TMUX and see the following
> lines âââââââââââââââââââââââââ

The "problem" is that tmux limits the current terminal size to the
smallest capable attached terminal, so that everyone has a common screen
size. The border you're seeing is padding, telling you that the actual
terminal is smaller than yours.

You can easily solve that by detaching ("C-b d" or run "tmux detach" at
a shell prompt inside the tmux session) before leaving the session or
closing the display terminal.

I'm not sure of any other solutions, because I have never treated it as
a problem; I actually think it is a very useful feature, because when
you're showing something to someone and they have a smaller terminal
than you, you (and your software!) know about it and don't fubar their
display.

— Mike