[ale] Moving my phone into the 20th Century

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 11:35:30 EDT 2013

And that 1 fact should be rammed down the courts throat to force a review
of that ruling. My phone provider WON'T fix the problem and the law is
blocking me from fixing it as well? So I am forced to use a product with
potential DHS issues because my carrier is too busy making money to
maintain their customers products while suing them to block them from
fixing it themselves.

And why should carrier foo care what OS is running on the phone I bought
from them on a 2 year contract that I keep paying for? what financial gain
to they get by my having a security risk on their network?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at axs.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/17/2013 03:30 PM, leam hall wrote:
>> > We have Verizon as the wireless carrier. Would like to get an Android
>> based
>> > phone on the chance I start doing programming on it. What phones are
>> the best to
>> > have for programming purposes?
>> >

>> Whatever Google sells, like the Nexus4.  Don't know if that is available
>> unlocked for Verizon or not.  Mine is GSM.
>>
>> By stating with google devices, you prevent the network-provider delays in
>> getting updated OS releases.  It also means you run the reference
>> platform for
>> Android.
>>
>> If you plan to run other firmware, then I don't know.
>>

> I think this topic came up on the list, but just in case you didn't know:
> The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your
> Smartphone
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-most-ridiculous-law-of-2013-so-far-it-is-now-a-crime-to-unlock-your-smartphone/272552/
>
> And when you consider that most all of the cell carriers don't provide
> security updates for the phones in a timely manner, it's like saying we are
> required to have insecure phones if we buy them from a carrier.
>

> Chuck

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.