[ale] Linode hacked, CCs and passwords leaked

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Apr 18 11:45:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been testing openvz servers for over a year. Work well for simple
> web services like drupal and less well for i/o-heavy apps like
> evergreen-ils.
>
> We don't offer service to gen public, but I would be confident using
> openvz for production PaaS.
> easy to back up, easy to use.

When run correctly, OpenVZ is ok, but it seems to be much easier to run
incorrectly.  "Burstable" RAM usually means they fairly heavily
overprovision (at least down to your base RAM).  OpenVZ also offers less
consistent isolation between VMs.  So, on a well-managed host with
"cooperative" neighbors, OpenVZ is not bad.  But on someone selling on LEB
for $2/mo, yeah, you're gonna have a bad time.

So while it's probably not fair that I won't use a VPS provider who uses
OpenVZ, it's become one of my "rules of thumb" for VPS providers.

--
David Tomaschik