[ale] Fwd: [ NNSquad ] Huge attack on WordPress sites could spawn never-before-seen super botnet

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Apr 14 14:39:27 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-04-14 at 12:42 -0400, Michael Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> > It's compatible with KeePass 2.x on Android et al and doesn't need Wine
> > to run the binaries.

> Well...

> It does and it doesn't.  Some pre-boxed versions seem not to run with
> some distros very well (I'm talking about Mint 14 here; it never has
> been very stable there).  It does work fine under Wine, module some
> key combinations.

As far as I've seen, none of the "pre-boxed" versions of KeepassX are of
the 2.0 flavor.  That's relatively new and not yet out of "alpha" state.
Alpha3 didn't even have a password generator.  The "pre-boxed" 1.x
versions did not support the KeePass 2.x database needed for cross
platform compatibility with KeePass on Android, so was a non-starter for
me.  Keepass 2.x under Wine worked but was a bit of a kludge and I
prefer to minimize what I have to run under Wine (which is nothing at
this time).

Note:  KeepassX != Keepass.  Keepass (original) is pretty much Windblows
and you have to run it under Wine on Linux.  So, when you say "it works
fine under Wine" you are referring to Keepass, not KeepassX.  I've run
both and now definitely prefer KeepassX (2.x Alpha4) over Keepass under
Wine.

> That said, maybe I'll just compile it from source and see how that goes.

Definitely.  Builds under cmake and I've had no problem with any of the
2.x alphas under Fedora.

> As for password management in the large, KeePass(X) has been wonderful
> for me.  I use at least 3 different OS' with some regularity and other
> than the above mentioned issue, it's been fantastic across all of
> them.

Yeah...  There's a few things from Revelation and Strip (Palm Pilot /
Treo PalmOS password manager that supported things like s/key and OPIE
OTPs) that I would like to see in KeepassX but, over all, it seems to be
the pick of the litter at the moment.  I've got a couple of enhancement
requests in to the authors for some of them.

Mike