[ale] PCI kernel drivers and IO remapping

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Fri Apr 5 19:17:17 EDT 2013

On 04/05/2013 06:29 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> No virtual machines for this particular system.  There's only one OS
> running directly on the hardware, we're just at a loss why the remapping
> isn't working properly in one kernel version and fine in another.

Because that's a function for kernel modules to use--Linus doesn't
believe in stable APIs for drivers.  They're supposed to be submitted to
mainline, where they can be taken care of in public.

Take a look in the kernel sources at "Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt"

HTH,

Phil

ps.  Try asking linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org if you are thick-skinned.