[ale] anyone installed linux on to a flash drive

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Sep 30 13:13:46 EDT 2012

Wow...  And I'm suppose to give a talk on my "multiboot" keys sooner or
later...  Reminder to self...

Yeah, I've done this...  I have a pair of 64G USB keys (always have a
backup if you are going to do this).  It's a multiboot key using a
custom rolled grub2 configuration (which would be what my talk would be
about)...

What's on that key (in order)...

* Boot Images for my encrypted laptop (3 most recent kernel images).

* Chainloaders to drive 1 and 2 of the system.

* OpenClient (and IBM customized RHEL image) run live and testdrive
images...

* CentOS 6 desktop run live.

* Fedora 15, 16, and 17 Desktop run lives for i686 and x86_64.

* Network Security Toolkit 2.16 (various configurations).

* Parted Magic.

* Ubuntu

* Backtrack (another forensic related distro).

* TinyCore (minimalist busybox based distro).

All totaled, probably a couple dozen menu entries including sub-menus
and what not.

Takes a little over 1/2 of that 64G key including persistent image store
and a common encrypted home directory.

Why?  It's my Swiss Army Knife.  I can (have to) boot my totally
encrypted laptop from the key.  No key - no boot.  End of discussion.
In addition, I can walk up to any computer and boot the computer from
any one of my boot selections and have a run live for demonstration or
for forensic purposes.

It's actually pretty easy to install a run-live to a USB key with a
persistent store for updates and a home partition for use.  We typically
refer to these as a "Computer On A Stick".  Building a multiboot that
works like that (ESPECIALLY if you have a common home) is a lot tricker
but grub2 makes it easier than syslinux or the old grub.

Regards,
Mike