[ale] way OT amazing new LED flashlight technology

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Sep 19 19:15:54 EDT 2012

that's no moon, er flashlight, that's a space station.

you'd probably get blinded by the reflection from a white wall.  maybe you could use it in place of an overhead fixture in your house.  looks pretty cool.

Ron

David Tomaschik <david at systemoverlord.com> wrote:

>This is the flashlight you want:
>http://elektrolumens.com/FireSword/FireSword-IV.html
>
>A power outage will suddenly become a sunny day at the beach!
>
>David
>

>On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
>wrote:
>> On 9/17/2012 21:16, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>>I bought the Nebo 5610 220 Lumen Redline Tactical at Batteries Plus.
>This unit costs about $30.  They warrant the unit for life.  It has a
>very bright LED emitter called a Cree.  I haven't done research into
>the merits of this, but it IS very bright.
>>
>> Cree isn't a type of LED, it's the name of a major manufacturer of
>LEDs
>> and other devices (the other major manufacturer is Philips Lumileds
>> which makes the Luxeon brand of emitters).  Cree is based out of
>North
>> Carolina and their primary area of expertise is in silicon carbide
>(SiC)
>> based devices (of which certain types of blue and ultraviolet LEDs
>are
>> made).  The LED in your flashlight is one of their UV models
>(probably
>> an XLamp if it's a recently designed flashlight) down-converted to
>white
>> using phosphor coatings (look closely at the LED (with the power off
>of
>> course!) and you should see a pale yellow dot in the center -- that's
>> the phosphor bead).  This UV-phosphor design is currently the most
>> common white LED.
>>
>> Cree's emitter gets its big power because SiC can handle very high
>> temperatures without degrading but it does require a flashlight that
>is
>> built properly to support a large LED like that.  SiC LEDs can pump
>out
>> many watts of heat into their heatsinks.  Junction temperatures (the
>> temperature at the diode chip inside) can reach over 150 degrees
>Celsius.
>>
>> Cheaper flashlights or replacement modules use lower power LEDs
>because
>> of the heatsink requirement.  They either don't have any heat sinking
>> keep manufacturing costs and retail price low or, in the case of the
>> replacement modules, the flashlight doesn't have the proper design
>for
>> keeping the diode cool since it was an incandescent bulb originally.
>>
>> Enjoy the flashlights.  :)  LEDs have made some nice progress in the
>> last few years.  I've got the LED Maglite (made with an LED from the
>> start that also does the SOS flashing), and several LED desk/task
>lamps
>> that work quite well.
>

>--
>David Tomaschik
>http://systemoverlord.com
>david at systemoverlord.com

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com