[ale] Mass changing of file extension

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 17 13:51:17 EDT 2012

On 09/17/2012 01:34 PM, Sparr wrote:
> This the first I've ever heard of an RFC for CSV data. I've always
> just assumed no one ever implemented it the same way twice. I still
> think that's the case, despite the existence of the RFC.

WTF.

My phone isn't sending email, apparently.

RFC is 4180, October 2005, Informational, "Common Format and MIME Type
for Comma-Separated Values (CSV) Files".

The rules are stupid simple: Comma separates optionally-quoted fields,
if a field is quoted (enclosed in " characters), then the " must be
escaped by emitting it twice, record separator is an unquoted newline or
\r\n pair.

That's been the convention for at least as long as I have worked with
CSV files in any capacity (dating all the way back to the mid-90s)
though it's nice to see it defined somewhere.

The processor that I had to ship the data off to actually requested the
CSV in RFC-compliant format, which in my book gave them points.  :-)

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”