[ale] Rant[ish]: government and states requiring proprietary software

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 17 13:15:20 EDT 2012

On 09/14/2012 01:23 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> puzzled.
>
> All of my tax forms are done using downloaded fill-in PDF docs and
> Linux native pdf reader. For a few years I had to use Adobe reader
> until the Linux native one has better support for fill-in forms.
>
> None of the forms I've used have required javascript from the pdf.
> Please provide example form number for the curious.

The 2011 GA 500 __REQUIRES__ JavaScript.  If you do not have it enabled,
or are using a secure PDF reader program that doesn't include JavaScript
support at all, then the following message appears:

> WARNING: THIS APPLICATION IS NOT VALID FOR THIS FORM...
>
> If you are seeing this message it is because the application you
> have selected to open this form is not the appropriate one.
>
> Today, besides Adobe® Reader, there are a number of applications
> (Chrome®, MAC® PDF viewer plugin, Foxit® Reader, etc) that allow you
> to view PDF documents and also, to fill PDF fillable forms.
>
> Unfortunately these applications are not prepared to run the
> advanced features contained in this form.
>
> To solve this problem, use Adobe® Reader.  Please follow the
> instructions below this line:

I'd give you more examples, but I figure this one, right here at home,
is the best.

Also, the GA corporate return suffers the same fate.

(They did this, by the way, because they now use JavaScript to perform
"validation" of the form, and then modify the form before printing --
even on Adobe Reader, you're not allowed to Ctrl+P to print the form,
because you have to hit a button in the form to print it so that it will
create a scannable barcode.)

How can this be fixed?

States should include a cryptoprocessor on your driver's license, and
you should be able to use it to securely login to the state's web site
to perform things like filing your taxes and, hell, even voting.  Yes,
voting.  That's exactly what strong crypto is for!

For that matter, the states could then have a relationship with the
federal government, vouching for your identity when you use your
cryptochip to do things on the State web site, so that they can let you
have a channel to the federal government to securely file your taxes for
free, electronically.

Why don't we do that?

Probably 'cuz it'd make a%)(*&@#%($7 sense.

	--- Mike