[ale] Godaddy outage

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Sep 11 14:30:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 13:53 -0400, Matt Hessel wrote:
> Well anonymous is claiming they took it down, I don't know if anyone at
> godaddy broke it. :)

NO!

First and foremost...  "Anonymous" has not claimed any action.  One
individual down in Brazil using a handle that has been associated with
Anonymous has claimed to have done this but stated they were acting
independently.  The collective has not claimed this and it remains
unconfirmed.

Second...  GoDaddy itself now claims it was not hackers and not a DoS
attack but a royal screwup in their routers that resulted in corrupted
routing tables.  I'm not totally sure how much credibility I will lend
to that idea but, if true, this is one of the grandest screwups since
Microsoft dicked up their DNS years and years ago with all their public
name servers on a single network segment and then cut them off from the
private master name server with a firewall update.

I'm not sure which is worse.  Being hammered by a collective of
malicious individuals out to get you or displaying a level of technical
incompetence and inability to follow RFCs and BCPs that would put a
technotard to shame!  How did they manage to put all their (DNS) eggs in
one basket so that a single point of failure could have such wide spread
consequences???  Well, I guess they are on good company.  MS has done
it.  AT&T has done it.  Others have done it.  You would think they would
know better but they obviously do not.

Regards,
Mike