[ale] Documentation of SSH exchange (including math)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Sep 2 18:21:32 EDT 2012

Have you tried RFC4251,52,53?

-derek

Sent from my HTC smartphone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Alex Carver" <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Subject: [ale] Documentation of SSH exchange (including math)
Date: Sun, Sep 2, 2012 6:10 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know of a site or other document that describes in
detail (including the basic math) of the SSH2 PK authentication process?
  All my searches describe the process of enabling PK authentication in
the daemon and generating the keys but I'm trying to find something that
describes the actual exchange process that identifies a user including
the math that is used during the exchange (i.e. any intermediate
messages being encrypted by which key, etc.)

I know there is more to the exchange than just the user's private and
public keys to reduce the possibility of MITM and replay attacks.

If I have to I will just dig through the openssh source but I was hoping
for something a bit more condensed.  I've got a crazy idea for a
home-built project (once I scrape together the dollars) and I want to
use PK authentication as part of it.
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo