[ale] Website Conversion

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:55:02 EDT 2012

On 10/31/2012 12:57 PM, Bob Kruger wrote:
> All;
>
> I "inherited" maintainance of a website that is run via DotNetNuke on
> a Microsoft server.  To say that I am undershwelmed is an
> overstatement.  However, the site has been up for a number of years,
> and site users have gotten used to the look and feel.  To change that
> would not be good.
>
> At the same time, the webhosting provider that I inherited, e.g.
> webhost4life.com, has proven to be increasingly incompetent and
> unresponsive with useless tech support from Mumbai.  All are sorry for
> my inconvenience, but they do nothing to fix problems.  Time for a change
>
> Iam looking for someone who can cross both Windows server based
> systems and Linux based systems to migrate what we have to a Linux
> based platform and software, but keep a similar look at feel. And,
> there is compensation with this project, e.g. not asking for free work.
>
> Any takers or recommendations?
>
> V/r
>
> Bob

Bob,

A couple of quick questions:

What type of site is it (e-commerce, informational, etc.)?
I am concerned about what security, data encryption, etc. that are required.

Does it use a database (MS SQL Server most likely if it is MS based)?
In principle migrating from one relational database to another is more a
pain than especially difficult. Details such as indexing, views, etc may
be troublesome in the conversion and there some differences in the SQL
dialects.

Is there any server side scripting and if so what language?
My guess for an MS site is asp.

There are several cheap, good hosting companies available and from what
know transferring to another host is not terribly difficult. I think
transferring is mostly about paying a fee and wait a few minutes and you
are done.

I have recently started working with Fat Cows (www.fatcows.com) for a
couple of informational websites. So far they seem very good.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com