[ale] Remote Desktop for Everything?

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Tue Oct 23 14:43:15 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 02:06 PM, JD wrote:
> Has anyone else attempted this?
> * Setup a Linux desktop "in the cloud"
> * Remote desktop into the cloud-desktop, as needed
> * Use ssh whenever possible
> * Use a tablet as your primary interface
>
> Here's a story http://yieldthought.com/post/31857050698/ipad-linode-1-year-later
> about a guy doing just that for almost all his desktop needs. Interesting read
> for the Linux crowd.

I do this right now for a few of my clients at work. We have Linux
servers on Amazon EC2 and they use NoMachine Client so that we can
connect and disconnect to the server and leave the desktop intact. Works
pretty well except for when they need to move terabytes of data into and
out of the server....

Several of them found that the tablets were a bit restrictive for the
work they were doing due to low resolution size. Most of them use 15"
Macbook Pros instead.