[ale] disk drive diagnostics nirvana - NOT - I have questions

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Oct 23 09:17:43 EDT 2012

On 10/22/2012 06:12 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>   Since the HDD
> controller can usually only discover read / write problems when you
> actually access the sector, I've developed a practice over the years to
> read and write every sector on the hard drive a few times per year.
>
> If the sector
> doesn't read, Spinrite uses advanced statistical algorithms to try up to
> 2000 times to recover the data.

Not really.  It sends the same command over and over again, because it
has no direct control of anything (it is, just like BIOS, just like the
Linux kernel, only allowed to talk to the IDE/SATA controller, not to
the drive directly).  It is therefore constrained by the controller!

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say since SpinRite isn't what this
thread is about.

> The first thing I do when I get a new drive is write
> it with random data then Spinrite it about 6 times to thoroughly burn it
> in.  I then follow up with one such procedure every 4 - 6 months.

Save yourself a lot of time, and instead, use Linux mdraid and a pair of
drives.  The drives will be scrubbed every week, then, and errors will
be detected and sent via network very quickly.

You could also use Reed-Solomon error correction layered on top of a
block device, format that with a filesystem, and then not have to worry
about it, since errors will then be corrected by the filesystem.  Add a
cron job to scrub weekly and mail warnings and errors off to you, and
boom---automatic, provably robust recovery from hard drive failures.
And it's a lot easier than your manual solution.

	--- Mike

                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”